A few years ago , the wooden fascias were replaced with what we thought was marine ply. It wasn’t, and it very quickly delaminated.
Last year, I searched out the best quality marine ply I could find locally and settled on a sheet of 18mm x 1220mm x 2440mm from Wickes and had this delivered to my home. I cut this into four pieces, and spent the winter treating and painting them with help from my other half.
Altogether, it had 1 coat primer, 2 coats Dulux Trade Weathershield Exterior Flexible Undercoat Paint (Brilliant White), and two coats Dulux Weathershield Exterior Gloss (Color: Buckingham). The fascia boards were then taken up to the clubhouse, along with my scaffolding, in the back of my Landy.
Then we had to wait for a decent spell of weather. Incredibly, we have not had 3 consecutive dry days all spring or summer! Eventually we decided we could wait no longer and a few weeks ago we decided to replace the fascias come what may.
First, we had to dismantle the remove the old boards to see how they had been fitted:
We found that each fascia board had been fixed to the horizontal wooden beams with 3-inch wood screws. This wasn’t really enough to support the weight of the boards, so they were also resting on a horizontal metal lip (between the black and green parts in the image). This lip took most of the weight. The corrugated sheeting of the roof allowed water to be driven under the right-angle cover (just visible, colour blue, at the left), and down the back of the boards onto the lip where it ponded. The poorly treated plywood was taking up this water by capillary action, causing the rapid delamination of the boards.
In our re-design, we have added a damp proof membrane under the corrugations and have brought this over the front of the boards behind the angled aluminium (blue in the image). The boards are fastened to additional vertical supports (visible in the image). These verticals bring the boards forward and away from the metal lip, and the height of the boards is reduced by 2cm so they do not rest on the lip. Any water driven under the corrugated roof will now flow between the angled aluminium and front of the boards, and not down the back onto the metal lip.
Working from right to left, in this next image you can see one fascia board has been fitted in place, and additional vertical pieces to support another board are being fixed at left:
With the second fascia board in place:
The old boards had large cut-outs to accommodate the stanchions. We decided to make the cut-outs follow precisely the shape of the stanchions and to seal the joint with silicone. We also silicone-sealed the vertical joints between each board:
Fitting the first fascia board took a whole day, mainly due to the complicated cut-out for the stanchion. But we created a template and used this for the second stancion, so the remaining 3 boards were all fitted in a single day:
The completed fascias look quite good! The corrugated roof needs fastening down, and there’s some other work. Clear Gorilla Tape has been put on the bottom edges of the boards to stop water getting between the laminations, and this tape needs to be painted with Weathershield. But it’s more or less “job done”